This is the place where I share my thoughts and experiences as a Session 1 Best Friends Animal Society General Animal Care Intern for 2012.
The 3 Re's are Renewal, Rediscover, and Reignite. Join me in my journey as I try to accomplish the 3 Re's.
This is a time for me where I can take a pause from my own life, with the help of and by helping paws. :)
Saturday, February 11, 2012
Week 3 Day 5: The Bunny House, Dog Training and Avril Time
This morning it was the Bunny House for me. I was able to start training some of the guinea pigs to jump through a hoop. I started the day by helping with cleaning the room where the guineas and bunnies were and then training commenced! :)
I was only able to work with Stella and Scout as Rufus wasn't feeling too well and was on meds. Hopefully before I finish my internship he feels well enough so that maybe I can work with him too.
I didn't have a hoop so I improvised by using a paper towel roll. I also had to set up some treats, and cilantro, apples and peppers were available.
Stella did pretty well. She was a bit unsure about crossing the paper towel roll as it kind of rolled as she crosses it. But she did seem to be catching on. I hope that our next session will have the same results, if not more. Scout did okay for his first day, he did cross the roll once or twice, but he was more distracted. I am hoping he will do better on our next session. I am also hoping to find a hoop or to improvise one, as I think because it will be thinner they would be more inclined to cross, or even jump through it.
In the afternoon it was our third dog training session. We got to learn about "sit/stay" "wait" and "come". Avril did good on the wait command. She also did sit very well, the stay part though needs a little work, mainly because the hand signal for it resembles high five, which she already knows.
After our training, I took Avril at Angels Overlook. We saw the labyrinth and also walked it. I love the place, it was so serene. I definitely have to visit again before my internship ends.
Here are some photos of my guinea pig training, some bunny photos, and Avril photos as well. :)
Tomorrow, it's rest day. The interns and I are going to Bryce Canyon. :)
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment