Pages

Sunday, February 19, 2012

Slow, Snow Day, and my reflections for Week 4

It was snowing once again today. The other interns and I were planning to go to Bryce, but the past two Sunday including today have had bad weather so we had to cancel our plans twice now. I pretty much just caught up with my chores and did more writing and catching up on some correspondence.

Then sometime in the afternoon I received some bad news once again, I have lost one more of my pigs, Ted. My husband said he was doing well in the morning, but sometime in the afternoon when he went to check, he found that he has passed. This has been an unexpected one, as he was only at the most 3 1/2 years old, we don't know the cause of it yet, but he did have a severe case of mites when I got him and started fostering him. I nursed him back to health, and he did well for the 2 years he was with us. It is very frustrating to be away from my pets, knowing that I have lost 3. I am looking forward to seeing their bodies when I get back, but feel sad that they will no longer see me. We already made arrangements to have them cremated as soon as I get home. I will absolutely miss them.

This evening, the girls from our group had some pizza at the new place that one of us has. It was nice to be around friends tonight.

Week 4 went by so fast, actually, 4 weeks went by so fast. This internship has been an amazing experience. In fact, this week made me realize how much I want to be involved in rescue and animal welfare. So much so that I signed up as an outreach volunteer for Best Friends. I also sent my interest to two rescues in my area that are part of the no more homeless pets network. Aside from that I also plan on volunteering for Alley Cat Allies, Rikki's Refuge, and my local SPCA.

The past four weeks has been a learning experience, it also made me more appreciative of all the people involved in rescue and animal welfare. Sure, the work is far from glamorous or anything of the sort, but the rewards are definitely the ones that make it all worthwhile.:)

Being here has definitely been a source of inspiration for me to get more involved. I definitely feel that I have renewed, rediscovered and reignited my passion for helping animals, and this is just the beginning of a whole lot more opportunities to help and move forward. :)

There is one more week to go for our internship, and while I am looking forward to what it experiences and lessons it will bring, I can't help but feel that it is bittersweet, mainly because I love what I am doing and I feel like there is so much more to do, but at the same time I get to go home and see my family once again.

No comments:

Post a Comment