Pages

Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Week 2 Day 2: Pigs and the cats of CalMar

Today, I went to pigs in the morning. I helped walk and feed them and got the chance to walk Panda as well. We also took Liz and Jack to one of the cottages to see if they will enter the cottage so that they can do sleepovers. It was quite interesting how even treats sometimes won't work for them to get into the cottage. Pigs are really sensitive, so a change in the surface, especially something that is new to them, freaks them out a bit. I also got the chance to have some photos taken of the pigs. Here are some of them.

Squeaky looking comfortable.

Panda out for a walk.

Saying hello to one of the horses.

Cheesin'

Hazel cheesin' as well.

Pretty Jezebelle


Miss Cherry

Liz on her way to the cottages

She went in! Yay!

Jack was more hesitant.


Lenny and Squiggly

Jeffery

Nick and Holly

I spent my afternoon with the cats of CalMar. CalMar is a building for FeLV+ cats, and the cats there are just so sweet. The lobby cats actually took turns being on my lap, some waited for their turn while others were more insistent. I also went and walked Moses, who is on the cover of Best Friends Magazine.

Of course, aside from socialization, I also got the chance to help in cleaning and their meds as well. But I know photos definitely does the experience more justice so here are some of the cats at CalMar.

Annette was the first one on my lap.

Then Layla Lou wanted her turn.

Layla says please. :)

Sleepy Layla

Awww...

Annette wants to play

Moses wants in on the fun too.


Moses then got tired of playing and took his turn to lay on my lap.

I am pooped.

Annette wanted to weigh herself

Pretty Ginger

Selma didn't get laptime today, but she was the first cat that greeted me at CalMar when we were doing the tour

Handsome Adam

Zip also got laptime. :)

Moses rolling on the ground.

This boy loves exploring the outdoors



There is a certain stigma about FeLV+ cats, in that they are viewed as having a quality of life issue, and for some that are diagnosed, it can be a death sentence. The truth is FeLV+ cats can live long and healthy lives. One thing I also learned is that cats can beat the illness. There have been instances at the sanctuary where after a few years and a retest, the results become negative. I really hope more research can be done about it and that one day, someone will discover how it can be beaten.

After the work day, the other interns and I went to one of the coordinator's house to have some dinner. It was a pizza dinner and it was a really nice company, it was really nice to unwind.

Tomorrow, I will be at the going at the Rescue Village for the first time and then in the afternoon it will be the senior dogs at Old Friends. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment