Pages

Sunday, January 29, 2012

My First Week Reflections

Being that today is going to be a relaxed day for me, I figured that I should write about what I learned so far on my first week here at Best Friends.

I have learned so much on my first week here, I definitely loved having the opportunity to get to know pigs and horses on my first day. That is something truly valuable for me. I have also learned how much I love cats, and how much I love to learn about them. Being at the Quincy House gave me the opportunity to have a glimpse at taking care of special needs cats. I also appreciate that the people have been so kind there to show me the ropes with the medications, it will sure help me in the future as a vet tech.

I also appreciated and learned a lot about birds, I haven't been around them much either so it is nice to see and hear what to expect of birds. They are very entertaining, but with that being said, they require a ton of work and a ton of attention.

It definitely made me happy that there were guinea pigs at the Bunny House, it makes me smile just thinking about them. It is also a good opportunity for me to learn about bunnies while I am helping in the area because that gears me up to having the ability and knowledge to foster bunnies once I get back home.

Another thing that I value is the opportunity to work with Avril. We have had some rough starts in life, and I am amazed at how loving she continues to be, and while I hope that she learns from the dog training, I truly believe I will learn more from her as time goes on. she has already taught me the value of being patient with her, and somehow I believe there is some wisdom in that, in the sense that I shouldn't expect of her, or of others around me to give me results immediately, If I expect others to be patient with me, I should in turn do the same thing.

This week has also made me realize how much I really like this calm place. It was unexpected, and it was good. I am usually one to shy away from something new, or from changes, but this place is making me realize that it is nice to make a change at times, no matter how small, and it is okay to step out of your comfort zone, and how it is also okay to take every opportunity that shows up in front of me. There is never any harm in trying new things, and for that I am already forever grateful for this place and for this opportunity, It is giving me the opportunity to know about myself and what I am able to accomplish if I just get up and go.

And I believe the next few weeks will be the same, if not much more enlightening than just this past week alone. I am looking forward to the changes in me. :)

No comments:

Post a Comment