My Facebook status today: Today is the day my life starts to change, in more ways than one. Best Friends Internship, I am ready for all that you will offer and impart to me!
I was so excited, I couldn't sleep!
Started my day right and early, ate my breakfast(which I never do) and made sure I got my supply of vitamin C with some oj. Then I proceeded to brush accumulated snow from my car and drove for the very first time on icy roads.
I couldn't contain my excitement though, it overshadowed my fear of driving today, that is definitely a good thing.
Got to the BFAS Welcome Center, where I met my fellow interns and our intern coordinators. We then proceeded to the start of the tour.
We first had some introductions and watched a video. We then took a van and headed to the Piggy Paradise and Horse Haven, which are both in the lower canyon in the same area. There we met the office pig, Squeaky. Because it was cold and there was still snow on the ground, it was just a quick hello. We then skipped the drive to Angels Landing and the horse pastures, as the road were still slippery and a tad dangerous, especially for a large van.
We then headed to Dogtown headquarters to watch the safety video. After that we proceeded to Wild Friends, where Heather lead a tour. Wild Friends is the area of the sanctuary where they have a wildlife rehabilitation program. They had a mink who was a tad shy, crows, pigeons, hawk, squirrels, ravens, horned owls, ducks, a goose, prairie falcon, etc. They also offer a wildlife education program, where animals that can no longer be released in the wild help in educating the public.
Close to Wild Friends is the Parrot Garden, where we had a tour and I learned the pressure capabilities(psi) that certain parrot species' beaks have. I also learned where not to touch a bird, as certain parts can be inappropriate to touch. We also got the chance to meet the adorable King O, who was so funny and cute.
After Parrot Garden, We all headed to Angel Village for lunch, where they serve a vegetarian lunch daily for those at Best Friends. The interns got to sit down and chat and have this for a view:
The view at Angel Village. Yup, lunch everyday with this view will be awesome.
After our lunch we headed to the Bunny House, where we got a tour of their runs. I also heard that they currently have guinea pigs, which of course knowing me, made me smile.
We then headed back to the van and went to one of the Cat World buildings called Cal Mar. this is where they have FeLV cats. There was this cat living in the lobby named Selma, who has such a gorgeous long , black fur. She was definitely a sweetheart.
One of the cats at Cal Mar being adorable.
After we visited the cats, we visited Rescue Village. At Rescue Village they have 4 yurts, which was used initially for the Pahrump cats, where 400 or more cats were found. The Rescue Village now houses rabbits who also came from a horrible and deplorable situation. We got the chance to enter and tour one of the yurts and see some of the rabbits that are there.
We then proceeded to drive around Dogtown Heights. It consists of the Old Friends, The Clubhouse, The Fairway, and The Garden. While we were driving around, and as we stopped at the Garden, our coordinators told us about the story of this gorgeous Pit Bull named Avril. She suffered horrific abuse and yet she still loves and adores people. goes to show that a lot of life's lessons can be learned from our furred companions.
After Dogtown Heights, we headed to Old Dogtown, which is where the the headquarters is located. We then proceeded to to tour the octagons located behind the headquarters as well as the lodges.
This is Sherlock, he resides at the Deja Lodges. Isn't he handsome?
While we were touring, we also caught a glimpse of Georgia, who is one of the Vicktory dogs. she earned her CGC(Canine Good Citizen) last year and has an adopter. :)

We then proceeded to drive around Dogtown Heights. It consists of the Old Friends, The Clubhouse, The Fairway, and The Garden. While we were driving around, and as we stopped at the Garden, our coordinators told us about the story of this gorgeous Pit Bull named Avril. She suffered horrific abuse and yet she still loves and adores people. goes to show that a lot of life's lessons can be learned from our furred companions.
After Dogtown Heights, we headed to Old Dogtown, which is where the the headquarters is located. We then proceeded to to tour the octagons located behind the headquarters as well as the lodges.
This is Sherlock, he resides at the Deja Lodges. Isn't he handsome?While we were touring, we also caught a glimpse of Georgia, who is one of the Vicktory dogs. she earned her CGC(Canine Good Citizen) last year and has an adopter. :)

Georgia, one of the Vicktory dogs.
After our tour of Old Dogtown, we went to meet with the dog trainer who will be working with us in clicker training our project dogs. Jen imparted a lot of helpful information and I am looking forward to working with her. Perhaps I can use clicker training for my cats and guinea pigs, and maybe even my rat when I get back. ;)
We then ended our tour and they drove us back to the Welcome Center, where we said our goodbyes, and looked forward to what our official first day of working as an intern tomorrow. I will be working with horses in the morning and pigs in the afternoon. It should be very interesting. Both animals I really don't know much about. Stay tuned!
After our tour of Old Dogtown, we went to meet with the dog trainer who will be working with us in clicker training our project dogs. Jen imparted a lot of helpful information and I am looking forward to working with her. Perhaps I can use clicker training for my cats and guinea pigs, and maybe even my rat when I get back. ;)
We then ended our tour and they drove us back to the Welcome Center, where we said our goodbyes, and looked forward to what our official first day of working as an intern tomorrow. I will be working with horses in the morning and pigs in the afternoon. It should be very interesting. Both animals I really don't know much about. Stay tuned!



No comments:
Post a Comment