Pages

Wednesday, January 25, 2012

Day 2: Horses and Pigs

My first official work day went smoothly. I got the chance to work with horses in the morning, and then work with pigs in the afternoon. I have always loved horses, but I was never around them so I wasn't really familiar with them, the same goes for pigs, but was I glad to get to know more about them today.

I got there very early, and Squeaky, the office pig was still sleeping. I don't blame him, it was cold that day.
Squeaky all cozy.

I met Ron, one of the horse caregivers, and there were 3 volunteers with us and our first assignment was mucking. Now, I have never mucked before today is turning out to be a lot of firsts for me. I was told that it is way easier to muck when the ground is dry, but most of the ground was still covered in snow and ice and they had to break some of the poop because it was frozen to the ground.

Mucking was definitely an experience, I never knew I would enjoy, but I really, really did, so much so that it is very akin to a zen experience. Maybe it was because it has a zen garden element to it, maybe it was because we were surrounded by beautiful scenery, maybe it was because I got a few hellos from the horses, I still can't quite pinpoint it, but it sure gave me some feeling of peace.
Beautiful skies, beautiful horses.

After the mucking, one of the volunteers and I went with a caregiver and rode on the back of a truck to go feed the horses in the other pastures, and we got to sit on bales of hay and take in the beautiful drive to the horse pastures. We got to fill their hay box and provide them their morning meal. then we turned back and I got the chance to help clear off ice out of their trough before I finished my morning with the horses.

Om Nom Nom Nom Nom. ;)

For lunch, I drove up to Angel Village using the unpaved, scenic route instead of going from the south entrance to the north entrance. While the drive was treacherous with ice and mud on the road, the scenery more than made up for it. I did end up with a muddy car that a car wash or two will be able to remedy. :)

In the afternoon I got to work with pigs, and you know what? Pigs are F-U-N! I have only been around farm pigs so being around potbellied pigs and interacting with them was quite an experience.

I got the chance to prepare their afternoon meals, and they put me to shame because they eat way healthier than I do. ;) I also got the chance in helping out with their feeding, which was also interesting in and of itself.

The best part about working with pigs? Definitely walking them. Adria, one of the caregivers, and two volunteers were there to show me the ropes. The first pigs that I walked were Daphne and Sprocket. They were motivated to walk with the help of dried sweet potatoes, and my do their sense of smell work on overdrive!
Sprocket out on a walk.

After Daphne and Sprocket, I got the chance to walk Scott and Liz with another volunteer. We walked them up the hill and then Scott didn't particularly like to go on the corner so we had to ask some help from Adria so that she can move past the corner.
Scott and Liz out for a walk.

After walking the pigs, I got the chance to help in picking up after them and as we were doing that, a cat came by to say hi. Her name is Kitty and the staff provides food and water for her, and while she is a feral cat, she seems to be used to humans now and I even got the chance to pet her. Kitty also liked hanging out with the pigs at times and regularly visits them in their enclosures.
Ms. Kitty

The last task was to make sure that the pigs are ready for bed and made sure that their enclosures were secure and that their needs for the night were met.

So, what do I think of my first day of work as an intern? It was tiring, but it was enjoyable because of the knowledge and for being able to work and learn about horses and pigs. What do I think about horses and pigs now? They are amazing, and it was such a delight to learn more about them and be able to interact with them.

I enjoyed working so much with the pigs that I am volunteering the next 2 Monday afternoons, which is one of my days off. I specifically work with Panda, a handsome boy who has fear aggression issues. I hope to at least help him be more socialized, and if he gets a breakthrough, then all the more better. :)

But the best thing I consider to be my lesson for the day, it is that peace or at least the feeling of peace is acquired through hard work, even in the least expected tasks. I wonder if there are places I can muck when I get back, I sure would need the zen-like experience again. :)

Tomorrow, I get to work at one of the cat buildings, Quincy House in the morning, and in the afternoon I get to work with parrots. I also get to meet and then decide on my project dog. So far I have narrowed the list they gave me to 21, but I don't think I can even narrow that down more, they all seem to be wonderful dogs. Hopefully tomorrow will just have everything fall into place.

No comments:

Post a Comment